Diabetes diet & food tips
- 12 Months ago
A diabetic diet plan for an individual is based on the height, weight, age, sex, physical activity and the nature of diabetes.
Foods Allowed - Let a large part of your diet comprise of these foods!!!
• Complex cereals like whole wheat, bajra, jowar, ragi, wheat bran, brown rice, rice bran, barley.
• Dals and pulses like moong dal, tur dal, rajma.
• Vegetables like cabbage, brinjal, cluster beans, spinach, methi, etc.
• Low fat dairy products like milk, curd, paneer and buttermilk.
• Fruits like papaya, musambi, guava, etc.
Restricted foods - Indulge in these foods in moderation!!!
• Fruits like chickoo, custard apple, grapes and mango.
• Vegetables such as potatoes, yam, purple yam and sweet potato.
• Biscuits such as Digestive and Marie.
• Restrict the intake of fat to 2-4 teaspoons per day.
Forbidden foods - Avoid these foods!!!
• Refined sugar, honey, jaggery, jam and jellies
• Deep fried foods like wafers, samosas, farsan, etc.
• Sweets like peda, barfi, chocolates, puddings, pies, ice-creams, biscuits made with refined flour, high sugar and cream content.
• Aerated drinks, preserved/canned fruit, fruit squash and alcohol.
Did you know?
Diabetics are two to four times as likely to have a heart attack or stroke as is someone without diabetes