Nourishing Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
- 10 Months ago
Mushroom barley soup is a comfort food. It's warm, tasty, and good for your health. Barley is a good source of fiber, selenium, phosphorus, copper and manganese. Barley makes this soup very filling and the unique combination of flavors with delicately flavored mushrooms makes this soup very interesting. With bursting with flavors that is an ideal recipe for weight watchers and for a healthy heart.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 1/4 cups mushtooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock / water
- 1 cup soaked and half-cooked barley
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Soak the barley in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 3 to 4 cups of water, add the barley and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 mintues or till it is 50% cooked. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, pepper and salt and sauté on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes till the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the vegetable stock, barley and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer on a slow flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the barley is completely cooked.
- Remove from flame, add the parsley and lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.