Prevention and treatment of obesity
- 13 Days ago
Obesity is a chronic disease affecting more and more children, adolescents and adults. The longer a person is obese, the more significant obesity-related risk factors become. Given the fact that obesity is difficult to treat, prevention is extremely important.
Steps you can take to help prevent obesity
• Gradually work to change the family eating habit. Change the habits and the weight that will take care of itself.
• Be a role model. Parents who eat healthy foods and are physically active sets an example for their children as well.
• Encourage physical activity. More than an hour of activity may promote weight loss and subsequent maintenance.
• Reduce the time in front of T.V and computers and stop being a couch potato,
• Eat only when hungry and chew slowly. Take small bites.
• Keep the refrigerator stocked with fat-free or low-fat milk and fresh fruits and vegetables instead of soft drinks and snacks high in sugar.
• Serve at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
• Drink water rather than preserved beverages.
• Choose whole-grain foods.
• Weight and measure food to gain an understanding of portion sizes.
• Weigh yourself regularly.
• Avoid foods that have a lot of calories in a small amount of food.
While you may want to lose weight for societal or fashion reason, it may be important to consider that losing as little as 5 percent to 10 percent of body weight will have a positive effect on your health.
No two people are alike, so it’s important to create a weight loss plan that works for you. Regardless of what exercise plan you follow, losing weight slowly will be more effective and healthy over the long-term because quick weight loss often spurs weight to regain.