12 Reasons why you should be having cod liver oil
- 6 Months ago
Extracted from the liver of the Atlantic cod, the cod liver oil is an excellent source of vitamins like A, D and K, and omega-3 fatty acids and is normally taken as a dietary supplement available in the form of capsules. Cod liver oil is a super food and has many healing properties. Here are a few of them mentioned below:
- It relieves joint stiffness and pain caused by arthritis as it reduces enzymes associated with the pain and cartilage damage.
- It speeds up the healing process. Therefore, applying cod liver oil ointment helps heal wounds as well.
- Loaded with vitamin D, cod liver oil promotes cognitive performance and maintains proper brain function during old age.
- Being a good source of omega-3 fatty acid, cod liver oil helps prevent coronary atherosclerosis by improving HDL levels and reducing LDL levels. The vitamin A and D in the oil also maintains the elasticity of blood vessels and improve functionality of the heart muscles.
- Vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids have synergistic anti-cancer effects and help prevent various types of cancer such as that of the prostrate, lungs, as well as lymphoma and skin cancer.
- This vitamin D-rich oil reduces the likelihood of fracture in old people.
- It prevents and treats rickets in children, a condition caused due to deficiency of vitamin D.
- It relieves muscle and bone pain caused due to the deficiency of vitamin D. Cod liver oil increases the vitamin D level in the body thereby increasing muscle strength.
- Vitamin A-rich cod liver oil helps maintain healthy vision for the long term and also treats other vision-related problems in people.
- The omega 3 rich cod liver oil boosts immunity helping you stay away from several infectious diseases.
- The oil is useful in maintaining healthy skin due to its omega 3 rich composition. Regular consumption of cod liver oil keeps your skin glowing, radiant, and younger looking for a longer time period. It is also known to minimize wrinkles.
- Cod liver oil moisturizes and softens dry skin, making skin appear shiny and healthy.