Benefits of a Healthy Diet
- 11 Months ago
“Health is a relationship between you and your body.” This quote says depending on the type of food you consume, your health will either improve or deteriorate.
A healthy diet is a diet that helps to maintain or improve overall health. A healthy diet provides the body with essential nutrition viz. fluids, macronutrients, micronutrients, and adequate calories.
There are certain benefits of taking a healthy diet which are: -
- Helps in meeting nutritional needs.
- Improves mood and mental health.
- Increases energy levels.
- Reduces stress.
- Helpful in maintaining weight.
- Ensures better sleep.
- Assures optimal hydration.
- Helps you in staying active and fit.
- Helps in preventing and curing many diseases.
How, What and When of Healthy Eating
How & What?
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Choose whole grains rather than refined ones.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Choose a variety of lean protein foods.
- Choose lean cuts of meat and prefer fish over red meat.
- While snacking- Choose fresh fruits & vegetables, roasted nuts etc. Eat more raw foods such as salads and vegetable juices,
- Keep healthy snacks handy.
- Do not overeat.
- While eating out- Opt for steamed and roasted foods.
- While shopping- Read labels carefully. Compare sodium, sugar and fat content in foods.
- Choose healthy fats.
- Drink plenty of water instead of sugary drinks.
- Eat mindfully.
- Keep meal preparation easy, and focus on the pleasure of eating healthy food rather than the calories.
- Take small frequent meals.
- Chew your food properly.
- Do not skip any meal as it lowers your metabolic rate.
- Usually include 3 major meals and 2 snacks between meals.
- Have your dinner before 2 hours of going to bed.
Don’t think of a healthy diet as something boring which is meant for people with health and weight issues. It will benefit every single aspect of your life and bring countless positive changes.
But definitely treat yourself from time to time. Having a treat now and then is a great way to make sure your healthy eating plan stays on track.