Bruschetta with eggplant and olive topping
- 10 Months ago
Bruschetta is a fresh, simple and delicious Italian appetizer that can be prepared in minutes and enjoyed any time of the year.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes (eggplant mixture can be made a few hours earlier)
Cooking Time: less than 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small (80g) onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (75g) celery stick, chopped finely
- 150g char-grilled eggplant, chopped finely
- 150g roasted red capsicum, chopped finely
- ¼ cup (40g) pitted black olives, chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 350g loaf bread (French or Italian bread)
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan; cook onion, garlic and celery until soft, transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add eggplant, capsicum, olives and basil to onion mixture; mix well.
- Cut bread on a slight angle into 8 slices. Brush one side of bread slices with the extra oil, grill on both sides until toasted.
- Top toast with the eggplant mixture and sprinkle with extra basil leaves, if desired.
NOTE: Not suitable to freeze. Onion mixture suitable to microwave.
If egg plant is not your choice, you can replace it with tomatoes.