Cheer with Cherries
- 11 Months ago
Bright red cherries are not only attractive but are also full of phytonutrients. Cherries are rich in antioxidants such as anthocyanins, quercetin, and ellagic acid. Antioxidants mop up free radicals which are unstable molecules that can damage cells. Phyto nutrients in cherries fight against cancer and heart disease and help to relieve pain caused due to arthritis and gout.
One measure of antioxidant capacity in food is its ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) score. Cherries are among the ten highest ORAC fruits. Studies suggest that eating plenty of high-ORAC foods can raise the antioxidant power of blood 10 to 25%. Sweet cherries can be had as snacks or can be added to salads, side dishes, and smoothies. Here are the main benefits of cherries:
- Protects from Diabetes: Cherries have a low glycemic index of just 22, which makes them a better snack for diabetics.
- Helps with Sleep: Cherries are a good source of melatonin and increased consumption of melatonin has been known to help with sleep.
- Helps keep away Alzheimer's: Cherries are rich in antioxidants and are memory boosting foods. Flavonoids and procyanidin help guard neuronal cells, thereby reducing oxidative stress and dementia.
- Wards of Cancer: Cherries contain elements that form the perfect anti-cancer team- fibre, vitamin C, carotenoids, and anthocyanin. Moreover, cyanidin and quercetin help reduce free radicals.
- Fights Hypertension: Cherries have more potassium than fruits such as apples and strawberries. Potassium helps lower blood pressure by removing the excess sodium (that contributes to blood pressure) from the body.
- Quells Post-Workout Stress & Aches: Research indicates that cherries contain antioxidants that protect the body against damage caused by exercise-induced free radicals, that can lead to inflammation.
- Reduces Inflammation: It has been found that consumption of cherry juice has also been known to reduce several other biomarkers connected with chronic inflammatory diseases. The juice can especially heal joint inflammation among individuals suffering from arthritis and gout.
- Keeps you Waistline in Check: Cherries have been known to prevent belly fat, because they are rich in anthocyanin that activates the molecule responsible for fat burning, thereby preventing fat storage.