- 9 Months ago
This versatile legume has a nutty taste and a buttery texture. It is a highly noted ingredient in the Middle Eastern and Indian dishes. There are two kinds of chickpeas- Desi Chana: It is smaller, and has darker seeds with a rough coat. Kabuli Chana: It is larger, light colored and has a smooth coat. They provide a concentrated source of protein and fiber.
Nutritional Info of Chick Pea:
|Nutrition Value (Per 100 gm)|
|Vitamin A||189 mcg|
|Vitamin C||3 mg|
Benefits of Chick Peas:
- Chick peas are known for their high fiber content. The insoluble fiber present in them keeps the colon cells active and healthy, thus reducing the risk of colon problems and colon cancer.
- It contains a considerable amount of antioxidant nutrients like vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E
- Studies have shown that regular intake of chick peas and other legumes reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Fiber and protein are known to be important for regulating blood sugar. Chick peas have a great combination of these two nutrients. So, even a single serving in your daily diet will improve insulin activity and overall insulin function
- Chick peas give us a feeling of fullness and eliminate hunger pangs. The unusual combination of protein and fiber also helps to consume lesser calories.
Although Chickpeas has a number of benefits, some of them avoid eating this healthy legume for the fear of developing gas/flatulence. This is due to the presence of certain types of carbohydrates present in them that undergo fermentation in our intestine and produce this excess gas. But, what if there is a way to minimize this effect?
Soaking chickpeas till they double the size releases the gas causing agent. Do not add salt or cooking soda while soaking. Add a piece of ginger or bay leaf while boiling chickpeas. It makes it easily digestible.
Tips to include Chickpea in your daily diet:
- Add it to your salads.
- Add chick peas to your soup to enhance the taste, texture and nutritive value of your meal.
- Sprinkle your favorite herbs and spices on cooked chick peas and eat as a snack
- Simmer cooked chick peas with tomato paste, spice, curry powder and walnuts and serve this chick pea curry with rice.
Chick Pea Recipes
- [Chick pea Soup =416]
- [Chick Pea and Lime Cake =417]