- 9 Months ago
As the name suggests, it is bright orange in colour, tangy (sometimes sweet, sometimes sour) in taste… and is easily available in the market. It is a juicy fruit, packed with loads of vitamin C. It is your way to stronger immune system!
Nutritional values for Orange:
Low in calories but, rich in vitamin C! It is a good source of vitamin A (beta-carotene). Having these nutrients makes it a rich source of anti oxidants! It is fibrous, giving satiety and so comes as a handy snack. Let us know more about this mighty fruit
|Nutritional values (Per 100 gm)|
|Vitamin A||1581 IU|
|Vitamin C||30 mg|
Benefits of Orange:
- An excellent source of vitamin C, it has a disarming effect on free radicals which cause damage to the cells in our body.
- It is rich in antioxidant content and so boosts immune system.
- It is a cardio protective effect and so is recommended for heart health.
- Many researchers are trying to prove its cholesterol lowering effects.
- It is known to improve respiratory health as well.
- This fruit has some healing properties associated with compounds known as phytonutrients.
Myths about Orange:
Myth: Oranges should be avoided (as they are sour in taste) if one has cold and cough.
Fact: Oranges are a rich source of vitamin C, which is an immune booster. This fruit can actually help in fighting against the infection and so can/should be eaten if one has cold and cough
Myth: Eating orange will lead to muscle soreness in athletes.
Fact: : Orange is a good source of potassium. Potassium is known to play a role in relieving the muscle cramps and/or soreness. So, oranges can actually be beneficial for athletes.
Tips to include Orange in the diet:
- An orange in between meals makes a very healthy snack.
- Add small pieces of oranges to your salad to give a tangy taste.
- A glass of fresh orange juice (without sugar) is a good option sometimes instead of going for sodas.
- A variety of mock tails can be prepared using orange juice
- Orange pieces can be added to desserts like cakes, pastries, muffins, pie, smoothie, etc.
- Orange peel can be grated and used in dishes like vegetable stew, or salads.
- Orange can be used to prepare jams, marmalade and jellies.
- [Tangy Orange Delight =398]
- [Colourfully Healthy Salad =399]