Why you should have curd with every meal
- 13 Months ago
Who doesn’t love curd? A bowl of fresh, creamy and homemade yogurt is one of the simplest food joys. Be it with a yummy, steaming paratha or as chaas, curd is often quite a staple in most Indian households. But did you know this versatile dish has a number of health benefits too? Yes, here’s how curd helps you stay healthy.
But before that let’s know what happens when milk is converted to curd.
- During the process of making curd, bacteria convert milk into curd and predigest the protein.
- These bacteria then inhibit the growth of illness causing bacteria inside the intestinal tract and promote beneficial bacteria needed for digestion.
- Hence, the protein in curd is more readily digested than the protein in milk. It has been estimated that regular milk is only 32 per cent digested after an hour in the digestive tract, whereas 91 per cent of curd is digested within the same period of time.
- The nutrients present in curd are easily absorbed by your digestive system.
- Not only that, it also helps in absorbing nutrients from other food items that you have eaten. It can also be used along with spicy food, as curd cools down and neutralizes the heat that these foods create.
Benefits of Curd
1. Good for digestion
Yogurt or curd is a great probiotic (an ingredient that contains live bacteria). These good and beneficial bacteria are known to improve gut activity, soothe inflamed digestive systems and treat an upset stomach.
2. Healthy for your heart
Curd is good for the heart as it reduces the risk of high blood pressure and helps reduce cholesterol levels by preventing the thickening of carotid arteries. The special proteins in Curd along with nutrients like potassium and magnesium help in lowering high blood pressure and promoting a healthy heart.
3. Great for those who are lactose intolerant
It’s great for people with lactose intolerance. As the bacteria converts the lactose present in milk to lactic acid, making it easier to digest.
4. Helps boost immunity
The good bacteria in curd helps boost the immune system and reduce the incidences of attacks by harmful microorganisms.
5. Prevents Vaginal Infections
Curd is particularly good for women as it helps in discouraging the growth of yeast infections. The lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria found in curd is known to control the growth of infection in the body and kill the yeast by kills by producing hydrogen peroxide.
6. Good for your teeth and bones
All dairy products are good for your bones, and curd is no different. Like milk, curd has a high amount of phosphorous and calcium. This makes it beneficial for your teeth and bones as it helps promote bone growth and makes your teeth stronger.
7. Can be used as a skincare product
Curd has a moisturizing effect on your skin and it heals your dry skin naturally. A lot of people suffer from acne due to certain gastrointestinal problems. Curd helps in marinating a happy and active gut which leads to healthy skin.
Yogurt is an excellent beauty ingredient for face packs too as it contains lactic acid that acts as an exfoliator and clears off all dead cells and blemishes. Nutrients like zinc, vitamin E and phosphorus make curd an essential ingredient in homemade packs. A simple mixture of curd, gram flour and lime juice can be made at home to give you an attractive and glowing face.
8. Helps get rid of dandruff
Curd is a simple homemade solution for Dandruff. How it helps to get rid of dandruff? It has lactic acid which has anti-fungal properties. What more? You don’t even have to add other ingredients to it. Just whip some curd in a bowl, and put it on your scalp. Leave it for an hour, and wash properly with water.
All these health benefits make curd a superb food item that you and your family should consume on a daily basis.