Beat after-flu fatigue with nutrition
- 11 Months ago
The rainy season usually brings with it a host of infections like common cold and cough. At times severe viral infection like influenza (flu) is also prevalent. It comes with a rise in body temperature and body aches.Common cold is believed to affect an adult at least 2 to 4 times a year. With lowered immunity, bacteria can take advantage and cause a co-infection too.
There's a joke that it takes seven days to recover from a common cold with medications and one week to recover without medications. In other words, since common cold, cough and flu are viral infections; antibiotics will not cure the problem and speed up recovery. Antibiotics only help to combat any accompanying bacterial infection. Contrary to popular belief, vitamin C supplements do not open up a blocked nose. Since there's no quick cure for common cold and flu, the best treatment is adequate fluids, a healthy diet, and lots of rest.
Here are some easy home remedies that help relieve symptoms of common cold, cough, and flu:
- Steam inhalation for about 10 minutes helps open the nasal passages and gives a comfortable feeling. Alternate therapists believe that adding a pinch of turmeric, eucalyptus oil, or tulsi leaves into the vessel that holds the boiling water gives some relief during steam inhalation.
- Gargling with warm salt water helps to relieve sore throat or cough symptoms.
- Hot and spicy liquids also help in decongesting the nasal passages. But be careful of eating too much spice as they might irritate the throat.
- Warm clothing helps bring down the symptoms to some extent.
- Garlic and ginger are said to relieve cold symptoms by loosening the mucus and helping in faster expulsion of it.
- Grandma's recipes include boiling spices like clove, cinnamon, ginger and fennel seeds in water, till the water quantity reduces by half. The boiled solution is to be strained and taken in doses of about 50 mL each time at least twice a day.
- Fresh ginger juice with quarter teaspoon of honey taken twice a day also gives relief.
- A mixture of ginger, black pepper, and jaggery, all boiled in water for about 10 minutes; strained and then consumed, gives a lot of relief from cold or flu symptoms.
A healthy diet aids in recovery and doesn't make you tired after you have gotten rid of the infection. So, avoid fried foods, desserts, and alcohol during an illness and recovery.