Benefits of Physical Activity
- 12 Months ago
People of all ages, shapes, sizes, and abilities can benefit from regular physical activity.
Following are some of the benefits of indulging in regular physical activity.
- Cuts your risk of high blood pressure.
- Reduces risk of heart disease.
- Reduces your risk of diabetes.
- Improves mood and decreases risk of depression and anxiety.
- Builds stronger bones which prevents fractures.
- Improves immunity.
- Gives you more energy.
- Helps with weight control.
- Helps you live a longer, fuller, happier life.
Here are some guidelines to help you succeed:
- Choose activities you like to do. Walk, bike, swim, exercise with a video, walk the dog, and play active games with the kids. Choose activities that are appropriate for your present fitness level and health condition.
- Start small. If all you have is 10- or 15- minutes of time a couple of days per week begin with that. Be active during work breaks. Some activity is better than none.
- Build up gradually over time. Lengthen your activity period from 10-15 minutes to 20-30 minutes. Gradually increase to 3 days, then 4, and finally to a minimum of 5 days each week.
- Pick up the pace. As you get fitter, you'll be able to walk more briskly. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate activity, most days of the week.
- Add strengthening and stretching exercises at least twice a week. Choose activities that work all the different parts of the body - legs, hips, back, chest, stomach, shoulders, and arms.
- Keep a record. Write down your exercise goal and keep track of your progress.
- Avoid injuries. Get comfortable training shoes and use the right sports clothing to keep warm or cool as needed while active. Drink plenty of water, especially in warm conditions. See a healthcare provider if you have a health problem.