- 7 Months ago
This is a serious disorder in which a part of the intestine slides into an adjacent part of the intestine, (telescoping) thus blocking food or fluid from passing through. This also cuts blood supply to the part of the intestine that is affected, leading to a tear in the bowel, infection and death of bowel tissue.
In children, the cause of intussusceptions is unknown. Whereas in adults, it is usually the result of a medical condition such as:
• A tumour
• Inflammation such as Crohn's disease
• Scar like tissue in the intestine
• Surgical scars in the colon or small intestine
The symptoms of intussusception in children include:
• Loud crying caused by abdominal pain
• The pain comes and goes, usually every 15 minutes
• A lump in the abdomen
• Stool mixed with blood and mucus
Intussusception is rare in adults hence, the symptoms are often nonspecific. Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea are the most common symptoms.
If you or your child develops the symptoms listed above, seek medical help immediately!