Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- 7 Months ago
This is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance as well as a deep need for admiration. People with this disorder believe that they're superior to others and have very little regard for other people's feelings. However, behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a weak self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
NPD is one of several types of personality disorder, often characterized by dramatic and emotional behaviour. The cause for NPD is not clear; however it may be linked to a dysfunctional childhood such as excessive pampering, abuse or neglect. It's also possible that psychobiology or genetics play a role in the development of this disorder.
The symptoms of this disorder include:
• Believe that he or she is better than others
• Fantasizing about success, attractiveness and power
• Exaggerate achievements or talents
• Constantly expecting admiration and praise
• Appear to be tough-minded or unemotional
• Being envious of others
• Taking advantage of others
• Lacks empathy
• Displaying arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes
• Believing that others are jealous
• Difficulty keeping healthy relationships
• Often setting unrealistic goals
• Come across as conceited, boastful or pretentious
If you notice any signs or symptoms of this disorder, consider reaching out to a trusted doctor or mental health professional as getting the right treatment can help make your life more worthwhile.