- 12 Months ago
Research shows that a large percentage of cancer-related deaths are directly linked to lifestyle choices such as smoking, drinking, a lack of exercise, and an unhealthy diet.
The following factors can help you to maintain health and improve survival and quality of life:
- Be physically active- moderate exercise improves fatigue, reduces anxiety, and builds self-esteem. It also improves your physical health.
- Maintain a healthy weight- being overweight raises the risk for recurrence and reduces the odds for survival.
- Avoid smoking and use of tobacco.
- Eat a variety of foods that will give you the nutrients you need. Emphasize on fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-calorie foods. Limit red and processed meats, animal fats (including butter and cream), and rich desserts.
- Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with sodium.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- Have a balanced diet.
- Get regular checkups done.