Techniques To Avoid Back Ache During Pregnancy
- 9 Months ago
Weight gain, changes in hormonal distribution, structural changes in the body, continuous strain on the back and over bending can strain your back from around the fifth month of pregnancy.
There are a number of simple techniques you can use to try to overcome it.
1. It's important that you understand your body's changes during pregnancy. This positive attitude will help to reduce and sometimes eliminate the problem.
2. Maintain a good sitting posture - Pressure on the back will only increase the pain. Make sure that the chair provides good support, preferably with straight back and arms. Use a rolled up towel or soft maternity pillows to support your back.
3. Try to keep your monthly weight gain under the recommended parameters. Unusual increase in weight can strain your back further and put you at risk of other conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure.
4. Make sure you set aside some time every day to relax and put your feet up to give your back a break.
5. If you have to stand for long, try to keep your leg on a low stool to reduce the pressure off your lower back. Use a skid proof rug in the place that you use maximum to ease out the pressure. This will also help to prevent varicose veins.
6. Sleep on one side with a pillow between your legs while on bed. During the second to third trimester, a thin pillow under the abdomen may also be comforting.
7. Do regular exercises or yoga that will help to strengthen your back. Seek professional help for it.
8. Apply ice and heat packs alternately for 10 to 15 minutes to your back to reduce muscle strain and swelling. Check with your physician before you do this.
9. Go for some good flat shoes. Wearing high heels may put more strain on your back.
10. Wear a maternity support belt to give your back added support. A belt can help reduce back pain while walking and standing for long periods as well as when lying in bed.
Above all, a diet rich in protein and calcium is essential to keep your back bones healthy and strong. Include good amount of milk and milk products like curds, paneer and low fat cheese, eggs, lean cuts of meat, soy, sprouts, pulses, legumes, nuts and dry fruits regularly in your diet.
However if your back pain gets severe, do not neglect it. Consult your Gynecologists immediately!