Want A Better Smile? Stop Doing These!
- 9 Months ago
We`ve all heard that brushing and flossing is essential to maintain good oral health and are probably already following it. But did you know that the habit may not be as helpful, if you have some bad habits that can affect your teeth? Read more to find out if you have any of these habits that are spoiling your smile!
1. Biting nails: Biting nails is not only bad for your nails, but also for your teeth as it causes broken or chipped front teeth. That habit can also cause cavities and gum infections from germs and bacteria that are under the nails.
2. Brushing too hard: Brushing too hard or using a hard-bristled toothbrush does not make your teeth shiny. On the contrary, it causes the protective enamel on the teeth to wear off which could lead to receding gums and increased tooth sensitivity.
3. Grinding teeth: Also known as ‘bruxism`, it can lead to a number of dental problems like loosening of the teeth, chipping, wearing of the enamel and cracking. It can also cause jaw joint pains, severe toothache and headache.
4. Using teeth as tools: Using teeth to open bottles, chips packets, tearing tags and cellophane tapes can have traumatic effects on your teeth. It can result in chipping, breaking or even losing teeth.
5. Biting hard objects: Many people are in the habit of chewing objects like pens, pencils, keys etc. This can lead to fractured teeth. Chewing ice can also cause fracture, chipping of the enamel or crack off a filling.
6. Sucking on lemons: This is especially done by small children. If a person sucks on lemons for a long period of time, it can cause the erosion of the teeth`s outer surface and cause teeth sensitivity. This is caused by the citric acid present in lemons which leeches out the minerals from teeth.
7. White wine consumption: Prolonged consumption of white wine can lead to wearing of the tooth enamel due to its high acidity. It exposes the darker layer underneath, giving the teeth a yellowish appearance and making it more vulnerable to stains from colored foods.
8. Drinking excessive soft drinks: The sugars and acids in soft drinks cause tooth decay. Unsweetened soft drinks cause less harm, but it is still bad due to its acidity.
9. Thumb sucking: It is the most common habit among children. It interferes with the upper and lower front teeth causing the upper teeth to splay out and the lower teeth to fold back into the mouth.
If you`re doing any of these, it`s time to let go of the habit and enjoy good oral health and a beautiful smile!!