- Eat Right
- Bones and Joints
- 4 Months ago
5 foods for healthy bones & joints
If you are eating foods rich in calcium, Vitamin D and C, and selenium, you are doing a great deal of good for your skeletal structure. However, if you are still thinking along those lines and not really doing anything, take a look at the following food choices that you should include to design a bone-friendly meal for yourself.
- Yogurt: It is one of the best calcium-rich foods and scores high on palatability too. An 8-ounce serving can provide you with approximately 350 to 400 mg of calcium.
- Soy Milk: This food item is the perfect option for including calcium in your diet, especially if you are lactose intolerant.
- Tuna: All fishes are rich in selenium, especially tuna and salmon. Selenium plays a major role in improving bone health. Just 55 µg of selenium can help strengthen bones and joints.
- Spinach & Kale: These leafy green vegetables are high in vitamin C and selenium. Their rich antioxidant content helps you gain better protection against the damage of bone cells and boosts the reproduction of newer cells too.
- Cheese: Three servings of cheese a day can be of great help in bone growth and development especially among children whose nutritional requirements are higher than adults.
Lastly, the importance of Vitamin D in terms of calcium absorption is well known to everybody. So, in addition to eating calcium-rich food, make sure that you spend time outdoors for some Vitamin D. This is vital for better absorption of calcium.