Getting calcium and vitamin D from the diet
Calcium and Vitamin D are amongst the most important nutrients for our body. But, are we getting enough of them? And did you know that it is best to get calcium and vitamin D from the daily diet rather than supplements? Let us take a look at few foods that are rich in calcium and vitamin D and that can be included in our daily menu.
We probably already know that dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt provide calcium. Other foods that are high in calcium include:
- Leafy greens
- Ladies finger
- Beans like kidney beans, soya beans and white beans
- Herbs and spices like basil, thyme, cinnamon, mint and spices like garlic.
- Certain fishes like sardines, salmon, perch and rainbow trout
- Foods that are calcium fortified like breakfast cereals and oat meal.
- Soya milk and tofu
Foods that provide vitamin D include:
- Fatty fish like tuna, mackerel, and salmon
- Egg yolks
- Foods fortified with vitamin D like some dairy products