Instant rice panki
Rice Panki is a snack made in a distinct style, with the use of pulses and seasonings. It is cooked between banana leaves and is a favorite Gujrati Snack. Use of urad dal flour helps to bind the batter together and make extremely thin pankis. Serve the pankis hot from the tawa or let your guest just peel it off the banana leaves and enjoy the pankis with spicy green mint chutney.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 8 mins
Makes: 10 pankis
Rice flour- 5 Tbsp
Split black lentil (Urad dal)- 1 Tbsp
Curds- 1 tsp
Green chili paste- ½ tsp
Roasted coarsely crushed cumin seeds- ½ tsp
Oil- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Banana leaves- 2
Oil for greasing
- Mix the rice flour, urad dal flour, curds, green chili paste, cumin seeds, oil, salt and ¾ cup of water together and keep aside.
- Cut the banana leaves into a 3 inch diameter circle using a scissor or a cookie cutter.
- Grease the banana leaves with some oil and keep aside.
- Place the two greased banana leaves on a leveled surface with the greased side facing upwards.
- Put a tablespoon of batter on each banana leaf and press it with the other greased banana leaf facing downwards to make a thin layer.
- Heat a non - stick pan and cook the panki on both sides till light brown spots appear on the banana leaves and the pancake in between easily comes off the banana leaf.
- Serve immediately along with mint chutney.
- If you have a cookie cutter then you can use it to cut the leaves into circles and proceed as per the recipe.