- Eat Right
- Food for the month
- 7 Months ago
Jamun - The Purple Fruit!
As a child, I always referred to Jamun as the fruit which turns you tongue purple! All the kids love it for its colour. The taste of the fruits is a nice mix of sweet and sour. It’s a tall and evergreen tree, native to the South Asian countries.Its reference is also found in the epic Ramayana, where Rama is said to have enjoyed this fruit throughout the 14 years of exile.
It is a nutritious seasonal fruit, so grab it till it’s in season! Is a good source of vitamin A and C. Also contains sodium, phosphorus, calcium and a lot of moisture. It is known to be rich in antioxidants and so has many health benefits! Here is the nutrient composition of this purple fruit
|Nutrition Value (Per 100 gm)|
|Vitamin A||3 IU|
|Vitamin C||14.3 mg|
Benefits of Jamun:
- Acts as a powerful antioxidant. Helps to improve immunity
- Is a good source of vitamin A and C, so is very beneficial for eye and skin health
- Powdered Jamun seeds are known to control the blood sugar levels
- Jamun acts as a coolant
- It also possesses anti-diarrhoeal properties, so is beneficial for the digestive system
- It is used in the treatment of sore throat and asthma in Ayurveda
- Jamun leaves were used for healing pus filled wounds in the ancient days, which suggests that it has anti-bacterial and healing properties too!
- Being rich in antioxidants, it improves immunity and helps to prevent Cancer.
Myth about Jamun:
- Myth : Jamun seeds cure Diabetes
- Fact: Powdered seeds of jamun fruit have certain components which help to control the blood sugar levels. But it does not cure Diabetes. Diabetes can be controlled only by eating a proper diet, healthy lifestyle, good amount of physical activity and proper medications.
Tips to include Jamun in your diet:
- Jamun juice can go very well with your breakfast
- Jamun fruits are a good option for snacking
- Add jamun pulp in wheat flour and prepare small pancakes for your kids.
- Jamun fruit pieces can be added into yogurt to prepare a flavoured yogurt
- Jamun milkshakes also tastes yummy
- Jamun ice cream can be prepared at home.
- It can be cooked with a little sugar and added on vanilla ice cream as a topping.
- Same can be added on cookies as a topping.
- Jamun jellies and jams are kid’s favourites!
- Jamun smoothies also can be a great option for evening snacks.
- [Jamun Ice Cream =414]
- [Jamun Raita =415]