- Eat Right
- Diet and Nutrition
- 8 Months ago
Vitamin K - Why do we Need it?
This one (Vitamin K) is a less talked about nutrient, but is as important as any other. It is sometimes referred to as the ‘clotting vitamin'. All the nutrients have some specific role to play in our body. Here are its functions -
• Vitamin K is a major factor required in the process of blood clotting.
• It helps to strengthen the bones.
• It is also known to play a role in preventing the blood vessels and the heart valves from calcifying.
• Some forms of vitamin K also help to protect the cells from oxidative stress.
• It has a role in synthesis of some of the nervous system components.
For all the above reasons, we have to eat the following foods for getting sufficient amount of the ‘clotting vitamin' -
• All the green leafy vegetables, green peas, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower
• Fruits like avocado, kiwi and grapes
• Fermented foods (including soy)
• Common cooking oils especially soybean oil.
Have these foods and you don't need to worry about the ‘clotting vitamin' at all....!!