- Get Fit
- 4 Months ago
5 Body Stretches for New Moms
Life can be immensely tiring as a new mom. You have an infant/a toddler who will keep you on your toes day and night, a family to feed, and other responsibilities to fulfill. During such times, it is hard to sneak in proper exercise. As a matter of fact, it is sometimes hard to even squeeze in a stretch! So what does one do to feel stronger and flexible? Here are 5 body stretches you can try:
- Hip Flexor Lunge: Get into lunge position. Now move your hips towards the front. You will feel a stretch on the right thigh. Hold the position in place for approximately 30 seconds. Repeat it thrice and perform the same stretch on the other leg. This helps relieve muscle tension around the hips.
- Neck & Shoulder Stretch: Sit on a backless chair or on the floor. Place your right hand behind your waist while pulling it at the wrist with your left hand. Tilt your head to the right and look over the right shoulder while doing this. Keep your back straight and repeat 10 sets on each side.
- Extended Puppy Pose: Get down on your knees and hands in the downward dog position. Move forward using your hands, slowly without moving the lower body. Now try retracting the hips back into place with the hands extended forward and palms placed on the floor, keeping the lower back slightly curved. Do this 10 times.
- Rotator Cuff Stretch: Lie down and stretch your hands out with the upper arm pointing towards the ceiling. Now lower your forearms so that they touch the floor, stay put in this position for 15 seconds, and then rotate the shoulders without lifting your elbows and shoulders. Do this 10 times.
- Elbow Moves: Place your hands at the back of your head while sitting upright on the floor or on a stool. Move your elbows to the front of your face such that they touch each other in the front then bring them to the back of your head so that the shoulder feel squeezed. Repeat this at least 15 times.
Motherhood is an amazing experience but can also be very stressful at times. Don’t let exhaustion take its toll on your muscles and joints. Try these exercises to stay fit and active, so you can enjoy it to the fullest.