- General Health
- 4 Months ago
Emphysema is a lung disease that makes breathing hard for one. This condition is one of the several diseases known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Smoking is the leading cause of emphysema. Emphysema is not curable and the condition cannot be reversed. However, treatment may slow down its rate of progression and ease symptoms.
One may have Emphysema for several years without even noticing the signs or symptoms. The main symptom of emphysema is shortness of breath. One may start avoiding activities that cause shortness of breath. The condition eventually causes shortness of breath even while one is at rest.
The factors that may increase one's risk of developing emphysema include:
• Exposure to passive smoking
• Occupational exposure to dust and fumes
• Exposure to indoor and outdoor pollution
Here are a number of ways to slow down the progression and protect yourself from complications:
• Exercise regularly
• Avoid other respiratory irritants
• Stop smoking
• Avoid respiratory infections
• Protect yourself from cold air as it can cause spasms of the bronchial passages making it even more difficult to breathe
Contact your doctor if you have shortness of breath especially if it's interfering with your daily activities!