- Meals and Recipes
- 5 Months ago
Green Garlic Dal
Fresh green garlic gives this dal a deep delicious flavor and makes it very healthy. Try it to savor the flavors.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
Toovar (Arhar) Dal- 1 cup
Turmeric Powder (Haldi)- ½ tsp
Finely-Chopped Green Garlic (Hara Lehsun)- ½ cup
Cumin Seeds (Jeera)- ½ tsp
Whole, Dry Kashmiri Red Chilies- 2, broken
Ginger-Garlic (Adrak-Lehsun) Paste- ½ tsp
Asafoetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
Chopped Tomatoes- ¼ cup
Oil- 2 tbsp
Salt- To taste
Coriander (Dhania)- To garnish
• Wash the dal and soak in water for around 30 minutes.
• Drain the dal, add turmeric and 3 cups water and pressure cook on medium heat (3 to 4 whistles).
• Once the dal is cooled, whisk to blend, and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a nonstick pan/kadai, splutter jeera, and add dry chilies, ginger-green chili paste, hing, and green garlic.
• Sauté for 2 minutes.
• Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till the oil separates from the mixture.
• Add the cooked dal, ½ cup of water, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
• Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
• When green garlic is not in season, replace it with a mixture of fresh coriander and garlic.