- 6 Months ago
Maize for a healthy body
Maize or corn, one of the staple foods in a few countries, has gained popularity in India as a breakfast and snack option. Be it boiled sweet corn, baby corn, boiled corn cobs or cornflakes, all are fast moving in the market today.
With people being very health conscious today, here are a few corn benefits listed for you:
• It improves digestion as it is a rich source of fibre preventing haemorrhoids, constipation and the risk of colon cancer considerably.
• Maize is also a powerhouse of minerals like iron, magnesium, copper and phosphorous necessary for bone development and to enhance normal kidney functioning.
• Sweet corn helps reduce the risk of anemia as it is rich in B-vitamins and folic acid.
• The presence of antioxidants like carotenoids has anti-aging properties which helps you look younger.
• Corn starch helps reduce skin irritations.
• It is beneficial to keep the heart healthy by reducing bad cholesterol in the body with the help of carotenoids, vitamin-c and bioflavonoids present in corn.
• It is proven to be beneficial for expecting mothers due to the presence of folic acid which is essential to prevent neural tube defects.
• Thiamine (vitamin-B1) present in corn helps in the normal functioning of muscles and the nervous system.
Corn is a rich source of many vitamins and minerals that can help you be healthy. So, have corn at least once or twice a week to reap the benefits.