- Meals and Recipes
- 6 Months ago
Protein and Iron rich Bajra khichdi
Bajra or pearl millet is most popular in Rajasthan and has been used since prehistoric times. It is known for its high fibre and protein content as compared to other cereals. It is also a rich source of vitamin- E, B-complex, potassium, zinc, magnesium, calcium and iron too. So, try this simple recipe and enjoy its benefits.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Makes 4 servings
• 1/3 cup whole bajra (black millet)
• 3 tsp yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1/2 tsp asafoetida
• 2 tsp ghee
• salt to taste
1. Clean the bajra and pound it coarsely using a mortar-pestle.
2. Clean the moong dal, wash and drain well.
3. Combine the bajra, moong dal, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles or until the bajra is cooked.
4. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
5. Heat the ghee in a pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
6. When the seeds crackle, pour this over the cooked khichdi and mix well.
7. Serve hot with kadhi or low-fat curds.