- General Health
- 10 Months ago
Cancer is a disease in which cells grow uncontrollably destroying adjacent cells and tissues in the bargain, spreading to other parts of the body through blood or lymph. Most types of cancers except for leukemia are in tumor form.
Warning Signals of Cancer -
Many a time, cancer does not show any symptoms, especially in the early stages. Consult your physician if you notice any of these signs -
C hange in bowel or bladder movements(long term constipation/diarrhea)
A sore that does not heal
U nusual bleeding or discharge
T hickening or lump in any part of your body
I ndigestion or difficulty in swallowing
O bvious change in wart or mole
N agging cough or hoarseness
• Unexplained weight loss of more than 5 kg
• Extreme fatigue that does not get better with rest
• White patches in the mouth or white spots on the tongue
Controllable risk factors for Cancer:
• Tobacco use. A direct link between smoking and cancers of the lung, mouth, larynx, cervix, and esophagus has been established. Tobacco use includes cigarettes, cigars, pipe smoking, chewing tobacco and inhaling tobacco (snuff).
• Obesity, diet & exercise: Obesity is a risk factor for cancers of the breast, colon, prostate, uterus and gallbladder. Nearly one-third of all cancer deaths are related to a combination of dietary factors and lack of physical activity in adulthood.
• Alcohol and drugs. The excessive use of alcohol and addictive drugs weakens the body's defense system, making it difficult to fight cancer. Alcohol is a risk factor for cancers of mouth, colon, pancreas, liver, esophagus.
• Ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Exposure to UV rays from the sun increases the risk of skin cancer.
Uncontrollable risk factors for Cancer:
• Age. The risk of many cancers, such as breast, prostate, colorectal, increases with age.
• Family history of cancer. Ovarian and breast cancer are two common examples. Women with a mother or sister who has had either disease are more likely to develop the disease themselves.
• Gender. Many cancers show equal prevalence among gender lines, while some are exclusively specific to male or female. For example, men are at risk for prostate cancer and women are at risk for breast cancer.
• Infectious exposure. Some forms of cancer may be related to exposure to viral or bacterial infections. The bacterium Helicobacter pylori that causes peptic ulcers is also associated with stomach cancer.
Did you know ?
There are more than 100 types of cancers and can affect any part of the body