- Stay Happy
- Post Natal Care!
- 8 Months ago
Self-care tips for new mothers post delivery
The postpartum period involves the mother progressing through many changes, both emotionally and physically. You need to take care of yourself to rebuild your energy and strength. No matter how tired you are, brush your teeth, wash yourself, brush your hair, and put on new clothes every day even if you will just stay at home, to make yourself feel refreshed.
- Rest. Every new parent soon learns that babies have different time clocks than adults. A typical newborn awakens about every three hours and needs to be fed, changed, and comforted. This can be exhausting for you. So try to sleep when your kid is sleeping.
- Eat. Since pregnancy as well as breastfeeding depletes your body of important nutrients, it is very important to eat well to get your energy and other nutrients back. Discuss with your physician and gynecologist to incorporate the right kind and amount of nutrients into your daily diet.
- Exercise. Post delivery exercises like walking, aerobics, and yoga helps you cut down on depression. A walk in the garden or some fresh air will make you feel wonderful, and exercise will help keep you in shape and make you feel energized.
- Home care. Sit in a warm bath ("sit bath") to promote incision healing. Ask for help from your family or friends to take care of your kid. This can save your time and energy.
- Follow up care. Be it a c-section or a vaginal delivery, every woman needs to see the doctor for a follow up. A pelvic exam will be done to make sure everything has returned to normal, and sometimes a pap smear is done.
Finally, learn to say "No". This will simplify and let go off your expectations that is and was before your baby arrived. You may be surprised at how wonderful it feels!