Ami Kozhakatai (Steamed Rice-Flour Mini Dumplings)
- 7 Months ago
Ami Kozhakatai is a delicately-seasoned dish, which makes a delicious snack option for kids. It is easy to make this dish and it only requires a few common ingredients.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Rice Flour (Chawal Ka Atta)- 1 ¼ cups
Salt- ½ tsp
Oil (for greasing and tempering)- 1 ¾
Mustard Seeds (Rai)- 1 tsp
Urad Dal- 1 tsp
Whole Dry Kashmiri Red Chilies- 2 whole, broken into pieces
Asafetida (Hing)- A pinch
Curry Leaves- 8 to 10
Grated Coconut- 1 tsp (optional)
Coriander- 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Mix rice flour, salt, and 1 ¾ cups of water in a bowl to make a smooth batter of pouring consistency.
- Grease a nonstick pan with a little oil, pour the batter, and cook it on medium flame, while stirring continuously till it leaves the sides of the pan and gets the consistency of dough. Keep aside.
- Transfer the dough to a plate (greased with oil) and knead it while it is still hot using ¼ tsp of oil. Knead until the dough turns smooth.
- Cover the dough with a muslin cloth for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rub a little oil on your hand and make 35 to 40 small dumplings. Steam the dumplings in an idli steamer for 5 to 7 minutes and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in another nonstick pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, red chilies, asafetida, and curry leaves and sauté on low flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the steamed rice dumplings, toss, and cook well for another minute or two.
- Garnish with coriander and coconut.
- Serve hot.