Do You Know the Signs of Depression?
- 13 Months ago
A tough situation such as a natural disaster, the loss of a loved one, or financial distress can trigger or increase depression and anxiety. Someone who is depressed has feelings of sadness or anxiety that last for weeks at a time.
Other signs include:
1. Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
2. Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/ or helplessness
3. Irritability, restlessness
4. Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable
5. Fatigue and decreased energy
6. Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
7. Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
8. Overeating, or appetite loss
9. Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
10. Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not get better, even with treatment.
If you recognize these symptoms in yourself or someone you love, see your doctor or a mental health professional. Depression usually doesn't just go away on its own like a cold or the flu, but depression is treatable.