- 10 Months ago
Salmon contains one of the most sought out nutrient – Omega 3! It is one of the favourites with fish lovers... It is juicy and perfect for recipes which require grilling. It originally is a fresh water fish, which migrates to oceans and returns to its original location. It is native to North Atlantic and Pacific oceans; but is also produced in aquaculture in many parts of the world. It is commonly known as Raavas in India.
Nutritional Info of Salmon:
Nutritional profile of Salmon is quite strong with the presence of omega 3 fatty acids (which is needless to say a good type of fat). It also is a very good source of protein and a good source of energy too. It also contains a very good amount of vitamin D, vitamin B3, B6, B12, and selenium. A lot of nutrients to get attracted too!
|Nutrition Value (Per 100 gm)|
Benefits of Salmon:
- High in one of the very beneficial nutrient – omega 3!
- Helps lower the bad cholesterol (LDL) and maintain a healthy level of it.
- Helps to reduce the blood triglyceride levels, thereby improving heart health and controlling diabetes.
- Some studies suggest that high intake of omega 3 lowers depression in the people who are emotionally vulnerable.
- It also helps to reduce aggression and stress by reducing the amount of cortisol (which is also known as stress hormone).
- Studies from a journal “HIV Clinical Trials” showed that as a side effect of the treatment given to HIV infected patients increased their triglyceride (TG) levels. Omega 3 supplements played a major role in reducing the TGs in these patients.
Myth about Salmon:
- Myth : There cannot be any side effects of such a nutritious fish as Salmon.
- Fact: Salmon contains a substance called purines, which is broken down to uric acid in our body. People with conditions like Gout and/or uric acid kidney stones are advised to restrict the intake of high protein foods like Salmon.
- Myth : Since Salmon is a fatty fish, it is not good for health.
- Fact: Salmon is a fatty fish, but contains good fats. It is full of omega 3 fatty acids which has numerous health benefits. People who are on a weight loss program should eat it in moderation after consulting a Dietitian.
Tips to include Salmon in your daily diet:
- It can be boiled and prepared in a curry form
- Roasted Salmon dishes taste too yummy inspite of being healthy!
- Once in a while, you can try fish fry with Salmon.
- It can be used for preparing cutlets with some binding agent.
- It can be stir fried and added to raw vegetables to make it into a tangy salad.
- Salmon sandwich with lettuce would be a perfect snack!
- Grilled Salmon can be a good option as a side dish with alcohol intake.
- Salmon can be tossed in little butter and added to the pasta which you prepare at home.
- Grilled or roasted Salmon can be a good option as finger food for school children... it gives a lot of energy and proteins!
- [Meen Curry =412]
- [Grilled Salmon with Indian spices =413]