Trivia on Newborns
- 10 Months ago
1. A baby gets its finger prints when it is a three month old fetus.
2. Rolling over is not a natural born reflex of a baby. Once your baby has head control, he'll learn to roll over.
3. Till 7 months of age, a baby can breathe and swallow at the same time. Did you know that this is something an adult cannot do?
4. Some babies, about 20-40% of them have some form of birthmark that develops right after birth but mostly during the neonatal phase. Birthmarks come in different colors, with regular or irregular borders and can be either raised or flat. These birthmarks are usually harmless and tend to fade or become less visible with time.
5. Babies recognize their mother's voice at birth, and they even recognize the voice of their father about 14 days!
6. The average number of diapers a child go through from birth to being potty trained is 7,000-9,000 diapers
7. A newborn baby's head accounts for about one-quarter of her or his entire weight.
8. Most breastfed babies normally feed 8 to 10 times a day. When they hit a growth spurt, their feeding schedules change, and they want to feed more often - 12 to 14 times a day. After the growth spurt ends, your baby will usually go back to the previous feeding schedule until the next time.
9. If your breastfed baby is going through a growth spurt, there are several things you can do to cope with the challenges. You'll probably want to drink more water to keep up with your body's milk production needs. Eat more often if you feel hungrier than usual yourself. If you nurse frequently, your milk supply will eventually catch up to your baby's needs.
10. Swaddling and gentle massaging of the baby while breastfeeding is believed to make it easier for mothers to get the baby to sleep.
11. Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood only 206 remain. The reason? Some bones fuse together later.
12. At birth, a child's feet have 22 partially formed bones; by 18, each foot has 26 fully formed bones.
13. Babies are born without kneecaps. They only develop during the latter half of the first year
14. Children born in the month of May are on the average 200 grams heavier at birth than children born in any other month.