Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- 13 Months ago
Pelvic inflammatory disease is a general term which refers to the infection of female reproductive organs.
* The female reproductive system consists of the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries.
* PID is a serious consequence of STD sexually transmitted diseases. Sexually active women in the age group of 15 to 25 years, especially who have multiple sexual partner s are at a higher risk although the disease may occur in women with monogamous relationship.
* Increased risk of Infertility and ectopic pregnancy, especially tubal pregnancies are serious consequences of PID.
General: The most common symptoms of PID include:
* Abdominal pain
* Vaginal discharge
Other symptom includes
* Lack of appetite,
* Pain during sexual intercourse
* Bleeding after intercourse
* Irregular menstrual bleeding
* Low back pain
* Frequency of urination
* Painful urination
Sometimes, there may be no symptoms at all and the PID may be silent.
The two commonest causes of STD are Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis.
- Infection with N. gonorrheae gives rise to symptoms of vaginal discharge which is usually purulent.
- Infection with C. trachomatis will mostly have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all.
- Both Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia are sexually transmitted disease ( STD). PID due to Chlamydia infection is more common among teenagers and younger women.
- Having multiple sexual partners and not using condoms while sexual intercourse puts a person at higher risk.
- People with a previous history of PID are at higher risk
- Women using IUCD for birth control
- Recent history of abortion or douche also increases the risk.