Who doesn’t want clear and glowing skin? Are you one of those who has been getting expensive treatments, tried every DIY skin routine, took your eating habits to the next level….but alas, nothing helped?
Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with it, but the good news is you can beautify your skin naturally by practicing yoga regularly. Yoga helps in detoxifying and lowering cortisol levels, thus preventing pimples and acne. It also improves the skin's flexibility and helps you get rid of wrinkles.
Practice these yoga asanas for healthy skin-
Baddha Konasana Uttanasana
Baddha Konasana Uttanasana, (Butterfly forward bend) helps to boost energy in your body. This stretches your back muscles and reduces muscle tension. It stimulates the heart and improves overall circulation in the body. Women who face menstruation problems and acne because of it should also try to focus on this pose.
● Being by coming in the butterfly pose.
● Join soles of both the feet together such that your knees are away, in opposite directions. Hold the feet with your palms.
● Start exhaling, and bend forward.
● Try to touch your nose to your feet.
● Level up by bringing your hands forward to reach the ground.
● Feel a stretch in your muscles.
● Hold the position for 30 -40 seconds.
● Relax and return back slowly to the initial butterfly position.
Ustrasana (Camel pose) is a kneeling back-bending asana that improves spinal mobility, relieves backache, eradicates slouching, rounded back, and drooping shoulders. It enriches the oxygen intake and helps in removing toxins from the body resulting in glowing skin.
● Kneel on your knees with arms at the sides.
● Place the knees and feet at a shoulder distance.
● Bend your shoulder, spine, and hand backward
● Reach for the right heel with the right hand and similarly, the left heel with the left hand.
● Press hips forward, keeping the thighs erect.
● Relax the neck and lift the chest forward
● Hold the position only till comfortable.
● Get back to the initial pose by slowly releasing the hands from the heels one at a time.
People with back disorders should not attempt this asana without the guidance of a professional trainer.
Adho Mukha Svanasana
Downward dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana) is a yoga asana that places the heart right above your head in such an inverted position that it increases the flow of blood and boosts its circulation in the entire body. It helps to moderate stress levels thus blessing you with wrinkle-free skin.
● Get on your fours like a dog.
● Exhale while lifting your hips upwards, and flatten your elbows and knees. Create a reverse V-shape with your body.
● Place your hands parallel to your shoulders and feet parallel to your hips.
● Press your hands down while keeping your neck stretched out.
● Ensure that your inner arms touch your ears.
● Remain in the pose and breathe deeply. Look at your navel.
● Exhale, loosen your knees and come back to the table position on your fours.
Chandra Bhedi Pranayama
Left nostril breathing or Chandra Bhedi Pranayama is an effective breathing technique for reducing body heat and balancing the disturbances caused by the wind element (Vata dosha). It heals the body by removing the impurities of blood and curing skin ailments.
● Sit in a comfortable position, breathe slowly and relax the body.
● Place your hand over your face, and touch your forehead with your first two fingers at the center. You can also bend your index and middle fingers in, so they form a curve just above the mouth but without any touching.
● Press your right thumb on the right nostril and block it completely.
● Inhale slowly through the left nostril to fill up your lungs.
● Exhale when you are ready, and start altering your fingers.
● Now, block the left nostril and open the right nostril (Try not to open it completely unless you have trouble breathing).
● Breathe out through the right nostril and vacant the lungs.
● Perform 8-10 times.
“Sarva” means entire; “anga” refers to body parts and “asana” means yoga pose. Collectively, known as shoulder stand pose. Sarvangasana is considered one of the most effective yoga asana for healthy skin. It helps in refining skin quality by stimulating blood circulation towards your face. Performing this pose 3 to 5 times daily will get you glowing skin, free of pimples, acne, and dullness.
● Lie down in a Supine position or lie down on your back.
● Bring your legs upwards and lift them to an angle of 90 degrees.
● Pull the legs near to the head and raise the hips upwards.
● Also, try to lift the abdomen and chest together to form a straight line.
● Place your hands at the back for support
● Place the chin against the chest.
● Try to stay in the pose for 30 seconds (only if you are comfortable)
● Slowly, come back to the original position
● While returning, lower the buttock with the support of your hands at the back and then come back to the initial pose.
This pose can be a bit challenging for beginners, hence you can also take support of the wall while practicing initially. Try once or twice a day, then increase the count to 3-5 as you progress.
If you experience any major discomfort, it will be best to hold the practice and talk to a wellness professional before attempting any other exercise. A fitness trainer on The Wellness Corner may provide you with customized plans according to your health situation and help you carry on your fitness goals without any hassle or risk of injuries.