Depression In New Mothers- Part II
- 11 Months ago
The issue with postpartum depression is that it doesn’t just affect a new mother, but also affects the relationship she has with her newborn and the development of her newborn as well. Here’s how:
- Behavioral Problems: Children of depressed mothers are more likely to develop behavioral problems down the line, including sleep problems, temper tantrums, aggression, and hyperactivity.
- Delays in Cognitive Development: Development is often delayed in babies and children who have depressed mothers. They may learn to walk and talk later than other children. They may also have other learning difficulties.
- Social Problems: Children of depressed mothers have difficulty establishing secure relationships. They may find it hard to make friends in school. They may be socially withdrawn, or they may act out in destructive ways.
- Emotional Problems: Studies show that children of depressed mothers have lower self-esteem, are more anxious and fearful, passive, and less independent.
- Depression: The risk of developing depression early in life is particularly high in children whose mothers suffered postpartum depression.
Self-Help for Postpartum Depression
- Find someone you can talk to about your feelings.
- Find people who can help you with child care, housework, and errands so you can get the much needed rest.
- Make time for yourself every day, even if it's only for 15 minutes. Do something relaxing or that makes you feel good about yourself.
- Keep a daily diary of your emotions and thoughts. This is a good way to let everything out and to keep track of your progress as you begin to feel better.
- Give yourself credit for the things you're able to accomplish, even if you only get one thing done in a day. If you aren't able to get anything done, don't be hard on yourself.
- Give yourself permission to feel overwhelmed.
- Remember that no one expects you to be a super-mum.
- Be honest about how much you can do.
- Take help of family and friends.
- Do not hesitate to take professional help if needed.