Eat Smarter, Live Longer
- 10 Months ago
A few tips to improve longevity by eating healthy...
• Include plenty of colored fruits and vegetables as they are rich in antioxidants that help to reduce your risk of developing cancer and heart diseases.
• Include olive oil in your diet, especially extra virgin that not just has a positive effect on memory but also increases HDL, the good cholesterol levels.
• Berries (strawberry, gooseberry, blueberry etc) are a great source of antioxidants that may help combat cancer and degenerative diseases of the brain.
• Fish, ‘The Brain Food' not just helps in brain development but including it once or twice a week also lowers the risk of dementia.
• Beans- high in fiber, makes you feel full longer, lowers blood pressure, improve cholesterol, prevent constipation, help digestion, regulates blood glucose with its complex carbs. So grab a cup twice or thrice a week.
• The Mediterranean diet, rich in olive oil, whole grains, fish and vegetables is heart healthy. Herbs and spices substituting salt, the Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of memory impairment and may ward off certain cancer.
• Nuts are not fat free, but packed with nutrients, lowers the risk of stroke in women, rich in antioxidants, lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and improves HDL levels.
• Dairy products, high in vitamin D increases calcium absorption, reduce the risk of colon, breast and prostate cancers. They also prevent the thinning of bones, osteoporosis, an age-related disorder.
• Whole grains are minimally processed and including them in the daily diet are known to prevent age-related disorders like constipation, diverticular disease, certain cancers, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
• Lose weight for better health as excess weight puts high pressure on your joints, heart and blood pressure.Remember to maintain that lost weight...
We eat to live. Eat healthy, live longer...