Fat-Free Maa ki Dal
- 7 Months ago
This is a healthy version of the traditional calorie-rich North Indian staple. This recipe is rich in potassium, vitamin C, and zinc. It makes use of the fat from low-fat curd (for texture) and eliminates the use of oil/ghee completely.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
Urad Dal- ¾ cup
Grated Onions- 1 cup
Grated Tomatoes- 1 cup
Haldi- ½ tsp
Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
Chili Powder- 1 tsp
Low Fat Curd- ¾ cup (beaten)
Ginger- 50 mm (2") piece
Garlic Cloves- 2 to 3 nos.
Chopped Coriander- 2 tbsp
Salt- To taste
• Grind ginger, garlic, and coriander in a mixer to make a paste.
• Wash and soak the urad dal for 2 to 3 hours.
• Drain the dal and keep aside.
• Pressure cook, the urad dal along with onions and 1 ½ cups of water, until the dal turns soft.
• Once the dal is cooked mash it slightly.
• Now add the tomatoes, haldi, ground paste, chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and cook for 5 minutes until the dal thickens.
• Add salt as per taste and stir well.
• Finally add the curd and mix well.
• Garnish with coriander and serve hot.