Know how to deal with muscle cramps!
- 8 Months ago
Muscle cramps are sudden and involuntary contraction of one or more of your muscles causing agonizing pain. Overusing a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a long period of time may result in muscle cramp. However, in many cases, the exact cause of a muscle cramp isn't known.
There are several things that you can do to help ease muscle cramps, such as:
• Gently and slowly stretching the affected muscle can relieve pain.
• A hot shower or using hot packs can increase blood circulation in the affected area thus relieving pain and tension.
• Massage the affected area for relief.
How can you prevent muscle cramps?
• Don't over exert your body while exercising or doing any other physical activity.
• Be well hydrated as many experts suggest that dehydration is the leading cause of muscle cramps. Fluids help muscles contract and relax and keep the muscle cells hydrated and less irritable.
• Always stretch before and after exercise.
• Eat foods rich in vitamins, magnesium and calcium.
• Move around as inactivity is also a cause of cramps.
• Excessive fatigue especially in warm weather should be avoided.