Low Calorie Vegetable Au Gratin
- 7 Months ago
Vegetable Au Gratin is a creamy French delicacy traditionally served with a portion of buttered rice. A small portion of this healthy main course will help you make your boring weight-loss diet interesting minus the calories. But don’t worry! You don’t need to go for the rich version. This low-calorie recipe makes use of cauliflower puree, low-fat butter, and whole wheat flour instead of high-fat butter and refined flour (maida).
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Baking Temperature: 200°C (400°F)
Makes: 4 servings
For the Low Calorie Sauce:
Chopped Cauliflower or Bottle Gourd- 1½ cups
Low-Fat Butter- 1 tbsp
Whole-Wheat Flour- 1 tbsp
Skimmed Milk- 1 cup
Salt & Black Pepper Powder- To taste
For the Topping:
Grated Processed Cheese- 2 tbsp
Whole-Wheat Garlic Bread- 2
Chopped Steamed Vegetables- 2 cups (carrots, peas, and French beans)
Low-Fat Butter- 1 tsp
Finely-Chopped Onions- ½ cup
Finely-Chopped Green Chilies- 1½ tsp
Salt & Pepper Powder- To taste
For the Sauce:
- Heat 2 cups of water in a deep nonstick pan, add the cauliflower, and cook on a medium flame until soft.
- Cool the cauliflower and blend it to make a smooth puree.
- Now heat a broad nonstick pan, add butter, whole wheat flour, and cook on medium flame for a minute, add milk, and cook while stirring continuously until no lumps remain.
- Add the cauliflower puree, mix well, and cook on medium flame for a minute while stirring continuously.
- Season with salt and pepper, bring it to boil while stirring continuously and keep aside.
How to Proceed:
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a nonstick pan.
- Add the onions and sauté on medium flame for a minute until the onions turn soft.
- Add the green chilies and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped vegetables, mix well, and cook on medium flame for a minute or two.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for a minute.
- Transfer the mixture onto a greased baking dish. Pour the sauce and sprinkle some cheese.
- Now bake it in a preheated oven at 200°C for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve hot with whole-wheat garlic bread.