Stress Reducing Foods
- 13 Months ago
When you are going through a period of stress, you need more of all nutrients, particularly the B vitamins, which affect the nervous system, and calcium, which is needed to counteract the lactic acid that your tense muscles produce.
Here's what you need to do:
1. Eat more vegetables and fruits. Your brain's production of serotonin, is sensitive to your diet. Eating more vegetables can increase your brain's serotonin production, a chemical, which helps in alleviating stress. This increase is due to improved absorption of the amino acid tryptophan. Vegetables contain the natural, safe, form of L-tryptophan. Consume at least 3 to 4 servings each of fruits and vegetables daily.
2. Eat a variety of foods to ensure that you consume all the nutrients you need to stay healthy. These include vitamins, minerals, proteins, essential fatty acids, and energy from carbohydrates. While most foods contain more than one nutrient, no single food provides adequate amounts of all nutrients.
Here are the foods you should avoid:
1. Caffeine is found in tea, coffee, chocolate, and cola. When consumed in moderation it can increase your alertness and increase muscular activities.
2, Alcohol like caffeine, when taken in moderation can be a very useful drug. Excess alcohol is the number one cause of stress.
3. Sugar has no essential nutrients, and provides a short-term boost of energy through the body.
4. Salt increases the blood pressure, depletes the adrenals, and causes emotional instability.
5. Saturated fats cause obesity and place unnecessary load on the cardiovascular system.