World Breastfeeding Week
- 12 Months ago
August 1 to 7 of every year is celebrated worldwide as Breastfeeding Week to promote this healthful activity for a new mom and a new born child.
Exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of a new born is being seen as an important step in providing a healthy future for the child. Although breastfeeding is a natural activity, some mothers are in a hurry to feed their infants through the bottle or to wean them to semi solid foods after 4 months.
Listed here are a few of the breastfeeding benefits for the baby and the mother -
- Breast milk is easily digested and absorbed by the baby.
- It provides all the required nutrients for a baby's physical and mental development in the right proportions.
- Breast milk contains antibodies which help to prevent infections in a baby
- Provides great immunity against allergy.
- Places lesser burden on the baby's kidneys as the protein and sodium content of breast milk are not in excess.
- Breastfeeding provides a contraceptive effect to some extent to the mother.
- It helps the mother to reduce the pregnancy weight faster.
- Bonding between the mother and baby is better during breastfeeding.