Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) is an integral part of yoga practice. It is normally performed in the morning during sunrise but can also be done in the evening during sunset on an empty stomach. Yoga experts suggest to use a mat while doing surya namaskar and not to do it on the floor. Although the steps of surya namaskar may vary with each school of yoga, the benefits remain the same.
Suggested Benefits -
- Keeps you physically and mentally agile.
- Improves flexibility and posture.
- Relieves stiffness in joints and muscles. Also activates majority of the muscles in the body.
- Deep breathing that accompanies this exercise provides more oxygen to the lungs.
- Improves hormonal functions.
- Strengthens cardiovascular system.
- Helps to sleep better.
- Stimulates digestive system.
- Reduces stress.
If you are new to this activity, take the guidance of an expert to get all the steps right. If you have a health problem, consult your doctor before starting surya namaskar.