Protein shakes are gaining more and more popularity every day, as more and more fitness enthusiasts find that they make an excellent meal replacement when they're in a hurry or on the go, or to achieve their fitness goals. Yet some people still wonder whether it's okay to substitute one meal per day with a protein shake and if it makes any difference to their overall health.
This article will help you answer those questions and decide whether it's right for you.
What Is A Meal Replacement?
A meal replacement is a food or drink that takes the place of a meal. They are usually high in nutrients and low in calories. Some people use meal replacements to lose weight, but there are also some health concerns associated with it. A plus point of meal substitutes is that they can be convenient and help you control your portions.
Plus, if you're trying to eat healthily and need something quick on the go, then it's perfect for you, but many shake companies add sugar, meaning that by substituting meals with shakes, you may consume more sugar than if you ate an actual meal!
How Does The Meal Replacement Works? Are They Healthy?
Meal replacement shakes are a popular way to lose weight; meal replacement shakes are high in protein and can help you feel full longer. Meal replacement shakes can be healthy if they are used in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. Meals can be substituted with fortified shakes for a short period (for desired results).
The Goodness Of Drinking A Meal Replacement Shake
Although the effects of meal substitutes on weight loss vary between individuals, substituting one meal each day with a shake will likely help you lose weight. The plus point of substituting a meal is that you get more protein. There are a few cons, though:
- It can help you lose weight or manage your weight because it controls the calories you consume.
- Meal replacement shakes are convenient and easy to make.
- You can control your meal frequency with meal replacement shakes.
- They will satisfy your hunger for longer than most snacks with little or no nutritional value.
- Low-calorie nutritious options prepared from healthy ingredients (the benefit of eating a natural diet) will also have a long-term effect on your health as they can slow down the aging process by reducing oxidative stress on cells that often lead to cancerous growth in older people.
- Meal replacement shakes are not healthy because they lack various nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Long-term use may lead to deficiencies in some vitamins, such as Vitamins C and E.
- Meal replacement shakes bought from the market often contain a significant amount of artificial components. The artificial components aid in product preservation. A lot of shakes also have sugar added to them to improve the flavor. Make sure you carefully read all labels.
- They don't change poor eating patterns. Rather than purchasing more meal replacements, you might need to address the issue by getting rid of the sugary and salty snacks (that you reach for when you're hungry).
- Meal replacement shakes might speed up your progress, but they are not going to help you in the long run. Making additional lifestyle changes is vital for weight loss.
A professional dietitian can help you decide whether or not meal replacements are the correct choice for you. Speaking with someone who knows the ‘ifs and buts’ of nutrition can help you explore countless possibilities available.
Not All Nutritional Shakes Are The Same
When it comes to meal replacement shakes, there are a lot of variables to consider.
- First, do you want the shake as an occasional indulgence or is it going to be your regular fare?
- Second, what does your diet consist of currently, and how will this shake fit in with that?
- Third, if you're looking for something to replace a meal, what would that meal consist of in terms of calories and macronutrients (protein/fat/carbohydrates).
- Finally, how much time are you willing to invest in making a shake every day versus eating meals prepared by someone else? Is it worth it for a small calorie reduction?
In short, substituting a meal with a shake can have long-term effects on one's health.
What Do You Need To Focus On While Trying To Lose Weight?
There are many things to think about when you're trying to lose weight, but one of the most important things is the calorie and nutrient content of your meals. Continue eating low-calorie nutritious foods during and after weight loss, as this will help prevent regain and make it easier to maintain your new weight.
Low-calorie meal substitutes can be healthy choices if they replace less healthy food in your diet and do not replace a full meal (with high calories). The plus points of meal substitutes are that they have been shown to increase satiety for longer periods and may lead to lower calorie intake at the next meal.
Related: Indian Weight Loss Diet To Help You Accomplish Your Fitness Goals
While trying to lose weight, you need to focus on your calorie intake. If you substitute a meal with a shake, you are likely consuming fewer calories. Instead of going for a shake, you can try out other healthy replacements that won't take much of your time and effort. Plan your diet the right way with the help of a nutritionist. Your eating habits can make a big difference, so adopt them mindfully.