Donate Blood To Reap The Benefits!
- 9 Months ago
Did you know that there is more to donating blood than only saving a life? There is no substitute for human blood and blood donation is considered to be the most priceless donation than any other donation. Everyday hospitals throughout India are flooded by a large number of people who need blood. These people might include victims of accidents, fires or other kind of emergencies.
It is not just trauma or accidents that require prompt blood supply. There are also other medical conditions which require immediate blood supply:
- Cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy
- People undergoing elective surgery
- Organ transplant recipients
- People with chronic anemia
- Women during labor and delivery
Donating blood not only helps someone in need of a life, but it also helps to optimize your own health. Isn't that surprising?
Here are top three reasons why you should donate blood
- Protects your heart: There are studies which show that excessive iron in the blood can cause oxidative stress leading to blocked arteries which in turn can lead to heart diseases. According to a new study published by the American Medical Association, donating blood every six months reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Protects against developing cancer: The link between low cancer risk and blood donation lies in the reduction of oxidative stress. With blood donation, you reduce the number of free radicals that can damage genetic material, which is the hallmark of all cancers.
- Blood Analysis: Before donating, blood is tested for HIV, syphilis, Hepatitis and other factors. This can help you with identifying certain problems you may have not thought of checking. The blood will not be used if it indicates that you are sick.
Who is eligible to donate blood?
Any person who meets these basic requirements can donate blood.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a normal body temperature
- Free from acute and chronic respiratory diseases
- Has a normal hemoglobin level
- Has a blood pressure level within limits.
- Should not have donated blood in the last 90 days
You don't have to be a doctor to save lives. Just donate blood! And every time you donate blood you can save upto three lives.