Calcium and Vitamin D are among the important nutrients that our body needs. But, are we getting enough of them? And did you know that it is best to get calcium and vitamin D from our daily diet rather than from supplements? Our body absorbs these nutrients better from the food when compared to supplements. Let us take a look at a few foods that are rich in calcium and vitamin D and that can be included in our daily menu.
We probably already know that dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt provide calcium. Other foods that are high in calcium include:
- Leafy greens
- Ladies finger
- Beans like kidney beans, soya beans and white beans
- Herbs and spices like basil, thyme, cinnamon, mint and spices like garlic
- Some fish like sardines, salmon, perch and rainbow trout
- Foods that are calcium fortified like breakfast cereals and oat meal
Foods that provide vitamin D include:
- Fatty fish like tuna, mackerel and salmon
- Egg yolks
- Foods fortified with vitamin D like some dairy products.
Talk to your nutritionist about how to get these foods in your diet.