Infertility - Know About It!
- 8 Months ago
Infertility is the inability of a couple to get pregnant regardless of the underlying cause after 1 year of unprotected sexual intercourse (without the use of any sort of contraception). Infertility may be caused due to many factors and it differs for men and women. It can either exist in one of the partners or in both of them. Risk factors of infertility are age, smoking, alcohol, obesity, metabolic syndrome, infections, and mental stress.
Psychogenic causes are the most common cause of male infertility.
The cause of infertility in women includes ovulation disorders such as PCOD, thyroid imbalance, hormonal changes, premature ovarian failure and problems in the uterus or the fallopian tubes.
The cause of infertility in men depends on sperm count, sperm mobility, sperm shape etc which might be caused due to testicular infection, Hypogonadism or genetic abnormality can also be its reasons. The causes of infertility are often treatable with proper medication, nutrition and lifestyle modification.
Lifestyle changes to increase fertility in men & women include:
• Weight reduction to a normal body mass index.
• Consumption of low glycemic index foods can improve fertility by controlling blood sugar and insulin levels.
• Fiber rich foods, vitamins and minerals may have a surprising benefit on the reproductive system.
• Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats help improve the body's sensitivity to insulin, which in turn affects the fertility of an individual. Avoid smoking, alcohol intake and drugs.
• Avoid foods that are rich in trans-fats/saturated fats and sugar in processed foods.
• Daily physical activity such as swimming, playing a sport or using the gym can also help improve fertility.
• Meditate or perform yoga to reduce stress.
• Sleep for about 6-7 hours daily.
Most cases of male and female infertility are manageable, you should consult a doctor if you are having any difficulty in getting pregnant.