Cumin or Jeera is an important spice used in Indian cuisines and the “jeera tadka” is famous for its refreshing flavor and essence. Its peppery and citrusy profile can make everything starting from simple dal to carbonated beverages luscious and tasty. Every Indian kitchen has a dedicated box for jeera not just because it makes food delightful but also due to its diverse medicinal uses.
Jeera water is rich in nutrients like iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, copper, and zinc which can benefit your health in several ways. It also contains powerful antioxidants, and a range of vitamins (A, C, E, K, B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6) that keep diseases at bay.
Let’s Explore Its Benefits-
- Improves digestion - The most popular and effective remedy for upset stomach and indigestion is consuming jeera water. The potent anti-gas chemicals present in jeera combat all your tummy problems. It protects the gut by stimulating digestive enzymes and prevents bowel diseases. It is also an instant solution for other digestive issues like belching, nausea, bloating, and burps.
- Speeds up weight loss - Jeera water is high in nutrition but low in calories that make it a great drink for weight watchers. Having jeera water right before your morning exercise routine not only increases hydration but also speeds up the weight loss process by enhancing metabolism.
- Keeps diabetes under control - Regular intake of jeera water can improve insulin sensitivity and help to keep blood sugar spikes under control in the long run. Another reason diabetic people should consider jeera water is- Effective weight management (as discussed above) which is essential for them.
- Prevents acne - The antioxidants present in jeera water protect our skin from rashes, acne, and infections. Squeezing some lemon and adding a spoon of honey to jeera water can lead to glowing skin and also lighten scars.
- Boon for hair - Jeera water contains many nutrients that are good for our hair as well. It prevents dandruff, greying of hair and reduces the chances of hair loss. It keeps the scalp healthy and makes hair strands stronger.
- Treats anemia - Jeera has an abundance of iron that is important for maintaining an adequate amount of hemoglobin in the blood so that oxygen can reach each part of our body effectively. Drinking jeera water regularly helps to manage symptoms of anemia like fatigue, weakness, paleness of the skin, vertigo, dizziness, etc.
- Regulates blood Pressure - Jeera water is rich in potassium that is proven to regulate blood pressure by eliminating excess salt from the body. It helps to maintain normal blood pressure by dilating blood vessels and allowing the blood to flow effectively.
How to Prepare Jeera Water?
Preparing jeera water is a piece of cake. The first way is to soak jeera seeds in water overnight and drink it in the morning. The second way (instant way) is to boil water with a handful of cumin seeds in it, let it cool down for a few minutes, and have the concoction daily. Continue to drink jeera water for at least 14-15 days for a noticeable difference.
Related read: Jaljeera- The Cool And Healthy Summer Drink!
Are There Any Side Effects of Jeera Water?
Jeera water has amazing health benefits but excess intake of the same may lead to side effects like :
- Interfere with blood sugar levels and lead to a sudden drop of insulin
- Can affect the development of the foetus (fetus) during pregnancy
- Can slow down the recovery of injuries and lead to increased bleeding
Wrapping It Up
Jeera water is a healthy drink with fantastic benefits and including it in your healthy diet can do wonders. It can be consumed not just on an empty stomach but it is also safe to have it at night. People have been relying on it for ages and rarely anyone has experienced side effects but in case it doesn’t suit you and leads to discomfort, cease the intake and consult a doctor to prevent any further issues. If you are looking for other substitutes, talk to our dieticians on The Wellness Corner via audio/video/chat mode and let them help you achieve your wellness goals effectively.