Sleep apnea is a condition which occurs due to closure of the airway suddenly during sleep. It leads to sudden waking form the sleep in the night and disruption in sleep.
Common causes of sleep apnea are
- Increased fat deposion in the neck region
- Inflamed sinuses
- Nose deformities
Common signs of sleep apnea are
- Excessive day time sleepiness
- Decrease in quality of sleep
- Feeling tired all day
- Decreased productivity of work
- Gasping for breath in night
- Sleeping with mouth open
Tests which are required
- Usually oxygen saturation levels are measured
- Sleep video recordings are done to monitor sleep cycle
- Polysomnography may be performed
- In severe cases detailed sleep studies and blood tests may be performed
How is sleep apnea treated?
- Weight reduction
- Supplimental oxygen therapy
- Portable nasal cpap machines
- Medications to increase alertness
What can you do?
- Discuss with your doctor
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Follow a healthy diet with consultation from dietician
- Strive to decrease weight if you are over weight
- Consult with fitness expert regarding neck exercises
- Check you bedding and pillow quality
If you follow these then you will have a refreshing sleep and inhance the quality of life.