Fitness and nutrition are the wellness formulae of health-conscious individuals. Today's busy executives, along with the not-so-buy but want to be healthy people, are scheduling a two-hour visit to their gyms either during weekdays or weekends. Certainly, a positive trend, especially when the heavy workouts are preceded by health-building foods that give adequate energy for these workouts.
If you are the type that visits the gym after an 8-9 hours work-day, you need to make sure that your body has sufficient energy for the two-hour workout. Light snacks which are healthy come to your rescue when there's a need for energy at the end of a long worked day.
Snacks to re-energize and fight fatigue:
- Dry fruits- You can take them with you anywhere and have them anywhere to get a boost of energy and to satiate your hunger.
- Banana- Bananas are a good natural source of sugar, they are also high in fiber. Bananas contain useful nutrients that energize the body.
- Low-fat milkshake or smoothie- Smoothies can help you get your daily dose of fiber along with Vitamins A, C, K, and potassium that make it an all-in-one snack.
- Whole wheat crackers- Multi-grain crackers made with whole grains are rich in B-vitamins that help to acquire the needed energy.
- Baked beans on toast (Whole wheat sandwich)- ensures a balanced ratio of protein and carbohydrates. Plus, you'll be getting a good dose of other important nutrients.
Other healthy snack ideas for an energy boost are:
- Cereal with low-fat milk
- Aloo chaat
- Boiled corn
These snacks not only carry nutrition but also give you an energy boost before a workout. At the same time, they don't make you lethargic or sleepy if taken in small quantities. Don't forget to drink a glass of water 30 minutes before you begin your workout.
Avoid these foods before rigorous exercise:
- Fatty and fried foods- They take too long to digest
- Sweets- They take longer to digest and cause rapid blood sugar changes
- Sugary drinks- They cause rapid energy swings and you might end up with less energy instead of more
- Caffeine- It stimulates the body to increase urine output